Lily's Beauty Must-Haves
YC instructor LILY MIESMER lets us in on the skin and hair products she swears by...
Now I have to put this one first because it is just the Holy Grail for me. I know, I know that’s a term that gets thrown around all too often in the world of beauty writing but in this case I’m not being hyperbolic. I swear. It’s ideal for SOUL skin because frankly, sweating a ton clogs the sh*t out of your pores. This is a stinky acid (it contains actual vinegar) that stings, tingles and burns on contact (a feeling that you start to manically crave after a while) while sloughing off dead skin like it was born to do it. Which it was. It’s by a niche French brand with zero sense of packaging and marketing, which is also a plus. Go buy this product. Note: if you’re not in France, just buy it from Rescue Spa online or Daphne in Soho.
I know this is Vitamin DUH to most of you out there but it’s worth mentioning because I really do use a fair amount of the line. Now here’s the crucial secret: The makeup is where it’s at. The skincare is really meh. I feel bad saying that because I think you get a hex put on you for criticizing anything this cute ’n cuddly company does but I must speak my truth. Use the concealer, Perfecting Skin Tint, Boy Brow and the face highlighter called Haloscope. Each product is incredible, reliable and really worth the inexpensive price tag.
I can’t live, if living is without you. This is a trade secret I got from a makeup artist on a set once (I did have a past life, you know). It is extremely thick and super goopy and when you put it on you look like a G-damn supermodel. I’m not kidding. There is something in it that is the most beautifying ingredient ever. If you have mature skin and want to glow like a disco ball, get this stuff. It’s extremely cheap and you can get it at Whole Foods. Plus I try not to put any moisturizing product on my face that is packed with chemicals. I like to fantasize about a healthy lifestyle from time to time. But the honest truth is if you told me it would make me look cute I’d put anything on my face.
I really love cream products. I think they make everyone look younger and blend in with the skin beautifully. RMS is a great brand because it’s run by this awesome woman and is a startup just like SOUL! This color is universally flattering and lasts all day. Looks like you rolled around in bed and into the street. V French.
• Chanel makes the best lip balm, the one in the tub, not in the tube.
• Pit Paste makes the best natural deodorant that actually works. I like the lemon scent.
• Sheet masks over masks in a jar, OBVI. Any ones from Korea are the best. Japan is great too. Basically if you can’t read the label you’re good.
• Leonor Greyl hair conditioner. His line doesn’t use silicone so they’re not the normal texture you’re familiar with but they’re better for hair.
• Charlotte Tilbury makes the best mascara. It’s called Full Fat Lashes. Gets better as the tube gets older.
• The hippie brand Heritage Store makes the best Rosewater spray. I go through a bottle a month.
• A child’s toothbrush is the best tool for brushing eyebrows. Am I freaking you out yet?
• Water is the ultimate beauty potion but if I’m being honest I prefer beer.