MEET THE INSTRUCTOR
21 Questions With DJ
June 9, 2017
ant to make DC instructor DJ GERRISH happy? Meet him in Maine with a cup of Dunkin' and a good book.
1. What is on your bucket list?
To own a jet ski and a house on a lake so I can use it, to run for office, to see the world, and grow old in Maine.
2. Where did you grow up?
Two very small towns in rural western Maine — first, in a place called Dixfield until I was a freshman in high school, then, 20 minutes down the road to our rival, Mountain Valley.
3. What food can you not live without?
Brussels sprouts, and bread because carbs.
4. Who is the funniest person you know?
Kate Bell (GTWN shoutout!), hands-down.
5. What is the best gift you’ve ever received?
My grandmother gave me a bike when I was young with lights on the front. I thought that was pretty cool!
6. First thing you do in the morning?
Make my bed and download my podcasts.
7. What’s one thing people would never guess about you?
I’m pretty handy! I like to put stuff together and fix things on my own if I can. Also, I spent my summers during college working in a paper mill in my hometown. Ask me about it!
8. What’s on your bedside table?
An empty smartwater bottle, a diffuser, candles, an iPad, and a couple of books.
9. What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
My dad always says “The hard is what makes it great.” Then, I learned it was also a line from A League of Their Own, so I attribute it to my dad AND Tom Hanks.
10. What’s the background on your computer?
A generic Apple background… waves, maybe?
11. Pool or ocean?
12. What are your pet peeves?
Punctuality — or lack thereof. I think wasting someone else’s time is one of the most selfish things people do. I also hate when the cashier hands you your paper change first, then sets the coins on top. Don’t they know it slides off?
13. What is your go-to splurge?
I LOVE to buy books. I don’t really consider it a splurge, but I feel like I’m treating myself – I just bought Jane Mayer's Dark Money and Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow. And I just finished Dennis Lehane’s new novel, Since We Fell — SO GOOD!
14. What is your must-have item in your closet?
I have a blue bomber jacket that I absolutely love. But right now, must-haves are tank tops and jean shorts – D.C. gets hot.
15. If you could use only one product for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Kiehl’s Facial Moisturizer.
16. Last concert you went to?
17. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I'm still deciding!
18. How do you take your coffee?
Iced and black, preferably from Dunkin' Donuts.
Sebago Lake, Maine
20. What is your theme song?
Would it be embarrassing to say "Shake it Off" by Taylor Swift? Yes, it would? Well, let’s put it in there anyway.
21. What was your first SoulCycle experience?