Meet MELANIE GRIFFITH: a music lovin', booty shakin', hula-hoopin', free spirit, mother of three with a law degree. And we know her around SoulCycle as the easy going one.
5 things you may not know about me...
1. I was a corporate lawyer in a big New York City law firm and spent a year as a clerk for a federal judge in Manhattan.
2. I spent much of my childhood traveling around the world with my family. My father was a concert pianist and performed as a soloist with orchestras around the globe. He was fluent in eight languages and as children we were always surrounded by a diverse community of artists.
3. My first job after graduating from Columbia University here in New York City was as a production assistant at Entertainment Tonight.
4. I love to hula hoop!! My kids and I have started making our own heavy hoops out of industrial irrigation tubing, custom wrapping them with gaffer's tape for our friends and neighbors! The kids have started a hula hoop business on Fire Island, where we spend the summer. Just like SoulCycling, hula hooping is so much fun and great exercise for your core. Let me know if you want one!
5. You probably DO know this about me, but it is the core of who I am... I am the proud mom of three amazing children!
My class is unique because....
I think that one of the best things about SoulCycle is that each instructor brings his or her own flair to class. I really believe that we need to celebrate everyone's flair and my class certainly does that! I have a pretty diverse taste in music—from alternative rock to dance to hip-hop to jazz and everything in between. The common thread is how each song makes you feel in your body and spirit. I think it just feels good to move your body to the rhythm of music, whether you are dancing or on a bike or, as in my class, dancing on a bike! I want my class to be a time for riders to feel strong and free, to trust their gut figuratively and literally, and to push themselves harder than they thought they could all while letting go of any inhibitions and walking out sweaty and smiling.
My favorite artist is...
My father. It was incredible to grow up watching him play and perform the piano all over the world. My brother and I loved listening from backstage and feeling like a small part of a magical and musical world.
If I have an hour to myself, I'm...
Swimming in the ocean or sitting on the sand watching the waves. The beach is so calming for me with the sound of the waves and the feel of the ocean breeze. I could sit there for hours making jewelry, hula hooping, playing volleyball and splashing around in the surf! Of course, most of my hours alone are also spent listening to music!!
My community of family and friends is very important to me.
Certainly my kids are the source of my purest joy. I am so lucky to be their mama and be by their side as they navigate growing up! But there are so many amazing people in my life who give me tremendous love and support and I cherish and appreciate them all. Many of them are part of the Soul community as well. What an amazing journey it has been since that first day I walked into the rear lobby of 72nd street when Soul Cycle first opened!! I say it often, and I say it proudly... I LOVE MY JOB!!
My friends know me as...
The busy one!!!! I am constantly balancing all of the elements of my life. I have three children (and two dogs) who have places to go and people to see!! I am a Trustee on the Board of my children's school and spend many hours volunteering and fundraising in support of the mission of their school. And playlists and music and classes and more playlists and more music!!! One friend recently called my the "zen one." But maybe it's more like the "zen, spinning, game-on mama!!"